Furnace Maintenance Tips For Your Southeast Summit Home
Keep your furnace clean and running efficiently
Like many homeowners, you may wonder what you can do to keep your furnace well-maintained and when you should perform such maintenance. After all, a functioning furnace reduces the chance of a fire and related fire cleaning in your Southeast Summit home.
Here are three tips for keeping your furnace in top shape throughout the year
1. Keep It Clean
Dirt is a troublesome yet common nuisance that can lead to furnace-related fires. The blower, motor and system itself all need regular cleaning to remove troublesome dirt and debris. Research how to clean your particular unit, or get help from a local professional. Leaving dirt to sit can cause your unit to malfunction and cause a fire-related issue.
2. Replace Filters
Your furnace filters should be replaced regularly. A good rule of thumb is to change them once before cold weather hits, and then once a month during the times that the furnace is in heavy use. Dirty filters can lead to situations that require fire cleaning, much like with other furnace components, and will also not function properly when you are relying on them to keep you and your family warm.
3. Perform Maintenance Early
One of the most important things to remember is that any repairs or other maintenance tasks need to be completed before the cold comes. Otherwise, you will risk using the furnace while it is not in top shape, possibly causing a fire and leading to smoke cleaning. You also will likely have an under-performing furnace that does not quite do its job.
Furnace maintenance is not exactly fun, but neither is a fire. You owe it to yourself and your wallet to take precautions against having a furnace malfunction at home. You will not only avoid fire cleaning in the future - you will also have better peace-of-mind knowing your furnace is ready to keep you heated.
Holiday Fire Safety In SE Summit & Lake Township
- Watch out for extension cords and multiple wires that are hidden behind carpets and curtains
- Overloading Circuits is a common mistake especially for families who possess multiple electronics because they do not split the devices and run a different circuit.
- Install an operating fire extinguisher and smoke detector
- Prepare a plan for emergencies
- Having a plan prepared can prevent injuries and accelerating the process of leading everyone back to safety.
Fire and smoke damage should not be taken lightly due to the dangers it may cause, action should be taken immediately to prevent further destruction. Smoke can spread throughout an entire structure under a couple of minutes.
If any damages occur after a fire, SERVPRO of SE Summit/Lake Twp specializes in residential or commercial services, back to “Like it never even happened.”
Summit/Stark County Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of SE Summit/Lake Township will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 330-786-0505